Friday, March 18, 2005

Inter-racial > Gay ???

I've spent all this time bitching about how people against gay marriage were bigots and comparing them to people who were opposed to interracial marriages..

I just read something disturbing on Atrios and did some extra digging and found out:

... when the Supreme Court struck down the bans against interracial marriage in 1968 through Virginia vs. Loving, SEVENTY-TWO PERCENT of Americans were against interracial marriage. As a matter of fact, approval of interracial marriage in the US didn't cross the positive threshold until -- sweet God -- 1991

AND

it wasn't until 1991 that a regular Gallup showed that a plurality of Americans approved of interracial marriage (48%). 4% approved in 1958. 36% approved in 1978.

WHAT THE FUCK???

I need to find some up-to-date statistics on this.. If half of the anti-gay-marriage crowd is also anti interracial-marriage, ... I cant even finish this sentence. My blood isn't even boiling anymore, I'm just throwing my hands up in frustration.

4/10/05 Update: I looked it up, in June of 2004, Gallup reported an approval rate of 76% -- meaning that ONE FOURTH of Americans STILL don't approve of interracial-marriage... But I wonder if they'd be ok with gay marriage if it was between members of the same race? Either way, fucking stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home