Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Lifetime Detentions for Terror Suspects - WITHOUT TRIAL

Administration officials are preparing long-range plans for indefinitely imprisoning suspected terrorists whom they do not want to set free or turn...

I found this article on Reuters a few days back (which references this Washington Post article that is subscribers only), and figured it would be front-page news (sorry I forgot how Bush-whipped our journalists are for a minute there) a major story on political blogs all over the net. To my surprise it wasn't touched by Kos or Marshal or even Drum, so I'll grope the fuck out of that shit right now.

The article basically says that about 500 suspected terrorists are being held at Guantanamo Bay, and though there isn't enough evidence of their guilt for any sort of trial or military tribunal, our fearless leaders want to hold them prisoner forever.

No due process. No evidence. No trial. They are just in jail for life.

You would think that all the torture filled interrogation sessions endured by these prisoners would have given our solders something to charge them with, just a shred of evidence to suggest they were involved with terror related activities (which I'm sure happened with some of the prisoners not on this "list of 500" that aren't being brought to trial).

The really sad thing is that if these men weren’t into terrorism going in, I can't imagine them thinking twice about it now that they have very personal and real reasons for hating Americans, and no reason to trust us at all in any way.

I wish I knew more about the Japanese interment camps of World War Two so I could compare and contrast, but I'm sadly ignorant (so please leave some comments on the subject if you know anything).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home