Thursday, February 03, 2005

Good Golly

The State is Strong.

Just when I thought Republicans couldn't get any cornier than proudly pumping flip flops in the air at the mention of John Kerry, they manage to surprise me with their blue ink stained fingers. Apparently this had something to do with the people voting in Iraq, something none of them actually did anything for besides voting for a war because the President of their Party told them to.

Where is the REAL Republican party? You know, the one for adults?

A lot of people have commented about the boo's and hissing from the Democrat side of the chamber.

It does strike me as bad form.

But few people deserve it more than George.

Perhaps Republican lawmakers would not boo and hiss at John Kerry had the outcome been a bit different. Perhaps they would have. I don't know, and to be brutally honest, I don't particularly give a flying fuck. I care about that about as much as I care about the Rapture, who I don't care about at all. I do know that for all his pandering and annoying traits like riding motorcycles and not being energetic, John Forbes Kerry deserved better from this country. And I know that he didn't spend the last four years promising to be a uniter, but by being the ultimate divider. I know he didn't piss away a surplus. I know he fought in an unjust war, but didn't start one under pretenses that get flimsier with every passing day. There is a reason why the noble words of the President ring very hollow for the minority party and for about 48% of us who took the time to vote. The President we waited four years to replace is now at the halfway mark, and he has not changed at all. Everything about him is reckless and haphazard, everything but the campagin he ran. That was genius. But on other things he falls short.

The standard raving liberal talking points, health care, education, foriegn policy, the whole litany. To be sure, some people oppose Bush just because he is Bush. That is unfortunate. There are so many valid, rational, real reasons to oppose him. Besides the fact that he lies about just about everything under the sun, even harmless needless lies (remember the second debate and a certain reference to a lumber compnany?), his policies are making YOU and I less safe. I will level with you. I don't know shit about the economy, how it works, why it works, any of that. I have only a vague resistance to the Privatization of Social Security, and that has a lot to do with the fact that I don't trust this Administration to do what is right for Americans. That is not to be mistaken for knee jerk resistance. They have a proven track record. Likewise, health care is not my expertise nor am I particualrly angry about "outsourcing", because god damn it, no job of mine will ever be outsourced. Maybe to robots, in the future, but not to developing nations. The true debacle of the Bush presidency has to do with foriegn policy, which shows his failings as a statesman.

Lofty childlike rhetoric about how everyone wants to be free is not going to cut it. After September 11th there were candlelit vigils in Tehran. Tehran, IRAN. Yasir Arafat gave blood. The French declared, "Today we are all Americans." The world stood with us as it never had before and never would again. It was a moment to dream of, a moment to set the world right, to move forth in a new direction. It was a moment for us to understand why things were the way they had become. Why 19 men would willingly crash jets into buildings. Instead we lashed out. But we didn't even lash out PROPERLY. The invasion of Afghanistan was something I had wanted ever since I heard about the Taliban. I hate to admit my hawkish tendencies, but I like the visercal thrill of smiting evil. I like the feeling of justice being done. Everyone does, I expect. But then we find out that Bush didn't even want to go into Afghanistan? He wanted to head straight for Iraq. It was only Colin Powell (now dead in the water) and Tony Blair who convinced Bush that it would be tantamount to disaster to go into Iraq without first at least making an effort to neautralize Osama Bin Laden (a name we haven't been hearing much). Now what are the results of Bush's daring Middle East (faith based) initiatives?

Basically, everyone there hates us. More than they already did, if that is possible. In Iraq a bunch of people voted for near anonymous candidates. In Pakistan our ally Perverz Musharraf still wears his uniform, a proud reminder of the military takeover we've overlooked in the name of Democracy. In Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai is one bullet away from being a swell memory, and near as I can tell, is pretty much the Mayor of Kabul, as warlords (both pro and anti Taliban) control most of the provinces. Syria and Iran are now antsy to figure out with of them the US will invade next. Turkey is eyeing the Kurds. The intifada in Israel is still very much a reality. Saudi Arabia remain our best buds, my favorite ally that doesn't allow women to drive cars.

Basically, everything is nearly exactly the same. The faces may have changed in some cases, but not the tyranny.

Bush supporters will say that this is just a first step. That history will vindicate his vision. That peace is on the way. I doubt it. But to be chillingly honest, I hope I'm dreadfully dreadfully wrong about this whole thing. I hope I'm just falling prey to my latent "hatred of America" gene. If the Middle East really does change for the better, in a real substantial way, and it'll take more than a few elections to convince me, then I will not be partisan in my joy.

This is one of those things where I say, please, let me be wrong.

But I don't think I am. Maybe my details are sketchy and my analysis amateur, maybe there is more depth to the situations that I ignored or that I am simply not aware of.

Or maybe I know for a fact Republicans would not support this war if it was started under a Democratic Administration. Maybe that is what sickens me.

Democrats, Republicans, Independents...We have more work to do.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home